I knew #6 had potential, but the shapes were boring, and there was no reason to be in the room. I couldn't shake it, so I went back in and just kept working on it.
Three more. I felt a lot more comfortable with 4, 5 and 6. I started by drawing values and colors from photos, building my shapes and perspective, and then adding texture later. I felt like I had more freedom to make the painting I wanted. See you all tomorrow!
During #1 I also found it much more difficult to paint over photos than I thought it would be. Since there's already so much detail in the image, every stroke seemed to make the painting look worse for a while. I also felt as if I wasn't quite as free to make up whatever I wanted because there was already so much information everywhere. Everything ended up flat. So although I'm very unhappy with #1, I'm including it as a learning experience.
#2, I felt, was a kick in the right direction. I took a square photo of a fireman on a roof and expanded the canvas out quite a bit. I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted going in, which I think made a big difference.
The same for #3, the broken interior. I knew I wanted to keep exploring the city-in-ruins theme, and I think by keeping things simple I came out with something ok.
All paintings between 35-50 minutes. More to come!